Reading: Sita Sings the Blues Part A

I picked Sita Sings the Blues because I was interested to see how the story of Rama and Sita translated into a movie. I think it's also a good way to refresh my memory of the main events of the story and I wanted to see if I would gain more insight into Sita's character.

I think the movie summarized the story pretty well, and they used multiple narrators to move the story along quickly so it wouldn't be so long. However, I do wish they included scenes of how Rama and Sita met and how he "won" her. I think those moments were pivotal in the development of their relationship. I think if these parts were included, it would've shown the "honeymoon" phase of their relationship and it could've made Sita's abduction and Rama's subsequent coldness towards her more emotionally heartbreaking for the viewer.

I think the introduction of Nina and Dave's story was a nice touch because it somewhat paralleled the progression of Rama and Sita's relationship. Each couple was seemingly steadfast in love, but then an obstacle caused a strain in their relationship, testing their fidelity and commitment to each other.

I think I learned more about Sita's character throughout the movie. By being able to physically see her emotions, it made it easier to sympathize and understand her character. The setting and colors during her songs also provide more insight into her emotions. For example, during the first song, it's sunny and there is a multitude of bright colors to express her happiness in finding true love with Rama. However, after Rama rejects her after her abduction, the setting is gloomy with the rain. Despite the cheerful lyrics about "wanting a rainbow, you must have the rain", you can tell her hope is fading. Hence, this shows more complexity for Sita's character because she tries to put on a mask of the "good wife" with the song, but the setting shows that her abduction has taken an emotional toll on her.

I think the use of the narrators adds another layer of interest to the story. They summarize the story for the viewer, but they also answer the questions that the viewer may be having as well. They also have frank discussions about the story, showing how Rama and Sita's story can be interpreted in different ways. I think this kind of storytelling is useful because it can show opposing views for one event, and I think I want to maybe employ this kind of "discussion" in my story too.

 Sita Sings the Blues .Nina Paley (2008)

Sita, Rama, and Lakshmana
Source:  Wikipedia

Comments

Popular Posts