Week 5 Story: An Interview with Rama and Sita (Part 1)

   Interviewer: Thank you so much for meeting me Rama and Sita! Everyone knows you as the golden couple of the Ramayana and you’re easily everyone’s OTP!


Sita: Thank you so much for having us! But… OTP? What does that mean?


Interviewer: Oh, one true pairing! It means that you’re a couple that represents true love for people and it gives them hope. 


Rama: I’m happy to hear that, but Sita and I have had our share of relationship issues. Our relationship isn’t perfect and we think it’s time to pull back the curtain and show people the true story of our relationship. 


*Rama gives Sita’s hand a squeeze and gives her a loving smile*

Interviewer: And I’m happy to give people a more authentic look into your relationship. To start, how did you guys meet? 

Rama: We met in a garden whenever I was traveling with my brother Laskshmana and there were multitudes of beautiful flowers, but when I saw her… she was the most beautiful person I had ever seen. She put the flowers to shame. My heart skipped a beat and I knew my life would never be the same after seeing her. 

*Sita has a dreamy look in her eyes* 

Sita: I absolutely felt the same way the first time I saw him too. He was so handsome and I just felt like there was an electric wire tugging our hearts together. It was love at first sight. 

Rama: I just knew I had to have her in my life, so I asked her father for her hand in marriage. He gave me the near impossible challenge to shoot with Shiva’s bow and I did it… I don’t regret taking that challenge a day in my life.

Interviewer: Sita, how did you feel whenever he was doing the challenge?

Sita: I was terrified and nervous for him. I didn’t want him to fail because I didn’t want someone like him to walk out of my life because of a stupid challenge. But he won and I’d never felt such a rush of relief and flood over me before. 

Rama: I agree and that’s when our lives changed forever. We got married in a big and beautiful wedding and we had a good few months of the honeymoon stage. It was perfect, but we didn’t know it was going to change so soon. 

*Rama is still smiling but there’s a touch of sadness in his eyes* 

Sita: This is still a hard subject for Rama to talk about. His father exiled us for 14 years, so we had to leave Adohya after his wife Kaikeyi convinced him that Rama wasn’t good enough to be his heir. It was a time of hardship and loneliness for us. 

*Rama gives Sita a look of gratefulness and clears his throat* 

Rama: I was heartbroken after my father banished us, but Sita was a source of hope and love for me. I wouldn’t have made it without her pure spirit and faithfulness. I took it for granted, although I didn’t know it at the time. 

Sita: Although that time was hard, I was content with him and our simple life. But it all changed whenever Ravana abducted me. That was one of the hardest experiences of my life and it truly tested my limits.
*END OF PART 1*

Rama and Sita
 Source: Wikipedia


Sources:
Sita Sings the Blues. Nina Paley (2008)
The Divine Archer by FJ Gould (1911)
Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

Author's Note: I decided to use this week as an opportunity to write my story for my storybook. For my first one, I decided to write about Rama and Sita’s love story as an interview because they had a lot of ups and downs, but the emotions and problems weren’t truly addressed. This interview summarizes the first part of the Ramayana, then I'll do part 2 next week.

Comments

  1. Hi Kim!
    I bet this will make for an awesome storybook! The Ramayana does not dive in deep into the emotions all of the people involver are feeling. This set up will be a great way to focus in on what you think Sita and Rama went through. I like how natural your story flows. It is a very easy read and it is easy to keep up with what is going on. You also switch from one character's dialogue to another's very effectively in my opinion. I wonder when this interview is happening. If you follow the PDE Ramayana. The two got back together after everything with Ravana, but then Rama sent Sita into exile. Is this story before her exile? Will they get back together after the exile? I suggest clearing this up in your introduction post! You can make it any time you want, but it would be helpful to state the when! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! This is such an interesting idea; I love that it is set up like a magazine interview about the IT couple. The back and forth with the questions are well done and the questions that are just like standard ones that would be asked. I wonder if you could have the interviewer ask more to help lead the couple to their answers though, because Rama and Sita sort of hijacked the interview. Do you think that they would give more relationship advice or hold back because they are public figures? I like that you put in their emotional cues like the looks in their eyes. I think that if you wanted to go deeper in depth about their feelings this interview method would be an incredible way to do it. You have the option for the interviewer to ask exactly how they felt about certain instances and room to work with their responses. - Jillienne Kirkpatrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kim,

    I like what you are doing with this story! I feel like the Ramayana tells the story so quickly that it's hard to really remember the story/know the characters. I think this style of telling the story will help with that. I also like that you chose Sita and Rama- they are the main characters of the Ramayana, but I feel like I wanted more dialogue/details about them. I think this story will fill those gaps! I think you could add more detail about the setting/ and the interviewer. Who is the interviewer and why are they being interviewed? It is a TV show? A news show? Oprah? I think adding these details will make the story even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim! I really like your story, and I especially like your approach. I thought I might try to write a script for my storybook, but decided against it. I'm glad you went ahead and made one for your storybook because this is really good. I like the stage directions and the interview format - it's like a real celebrity interview

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim! Your story gives a unique perspective to the original one. I agree with your author's note; we don't really get much of an explanation about the couple so this story has a cool take on your own view of them. Something that I think would help out your story is providing background emotions. I know your story is written out like a script almost, so adding how they're feeling in between the lines would really help the story come to life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts