Week 8 Comments and Feedback

I appreciate the feedback I've received in this class. Everyone is nice and constructive with their criticism and I try to tweak my stories in response. A lot of people in these classes are talented writers and it's been nice to see how creative other people are. Something that I could improve on is my pacing because I write long stories, but it's hard to balance the story with character development at the same time, so I sometimes focus more on one aspect with the other.

For my feedback, I hope I've been constructive with my criticismi. I struggle with giving "more negative" feedback, but learning the strategies on how to give "negative" feedback in a nice and constructive manner has helped me. One strategy that has helped me is asking "why" and asking the author for more clarification. I think these kind of comments help with world building or character building, depending on the story.

I think blog comments have helped me connect with other students. Since this is an online class, it's easy to focus on just your work, but the blog comments facilitate open discussion with other people. Writing can be a collaborative thing, and the blog comments have allowed me to see how other people think and the intro posts give me more insight into the type of person they are.

I think I also need to balance my positive criticism with some negative criticism to make it more constructive for other writers. As a result, I need to learn to be more comfortable with giving negative feedback. I think I'm okay with my comment wall and Introduction so far, but I'm open to making any changes in the future.

I chose the image from Jackie Gerstein because shows the process and importance of reflection. When we close ourselves off from criticism, we can't grow. When we're open-minded, we open ourselves up to other opportunities and we can learn more about ourselves by listening to others. I think it's an important skill to build not only in writing, but also in life.


Comments

Popular Posts